[TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Tue Sep 13 23:08:01 PDT 2011

On 9/14/2011 1:19 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> I suspect the differences in half-sloper performance are related to what one
> poster here (I think it was W8JI, but forgive me Tom if it wasn't you)
> referred to as the half-sloper's inherent unreliability as an antenna
> design.

I would agree.
The half sloper is fed at the top with one half being the wire and the
other half being the tower which is top loaded.
This puts the low impedance at the top even though the one leg is
grounded at the base.  So the tower and wire are fed against each other
with top loading.

 From this I would expect radials to be relatively ineffective, BUT due
to the wide variety of configurations such as tall towers, short towers,
large top hats, small top hats, and the variations in the included angle
all bets are really off making each one an individual.

I use a 100' 45G with a lot of top loading and a wire that is resonant
at roughly 1.850 or so. I think that is about 130' (give or take a tad)
and I've had good results with it relatively speaking.  IOW I wasn't
disappointed.

73

Roger (K8RI)