[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3SS Galvanic Corrosion 20M

Frank Davis fdavis at nfld.net
Thu Sep 15 17:51:55 PDT 2011

I have been using a C3SS since Sept 2009.  It was purchased used but in like new condition having been
only erected for a short period when the first owner became a SK.

This past summer I noticed that the SWR would jump around quite a bit during wind.  Also I purchased an
ACOM 1010 and when running that amp at 800w on 20M the SWR would skyrocket and the amp would shut down.

Last week I lowered the tower and removed the antenna and discovered that all eight 2" hex aluminium studs that
secure the fold wire for the 20M elements were very badly corroded.  The SS bolts in the studs were quite loose
and in a couple of cases I could pull the  bolts out by hand.  The studs were basically disintegrating due to galvanic action
and no doubt the proximity to the ocean here did its job very well.  A friend of mine made eight new studs for me out of 1/2"
square AL stock and I have now reassembled the antenna and have it back in the air.  I have pictures of the corroded studs
if anyone is interested.

I also discovered that the small wire strap that bridges the gap in  the REF element was corroded in the automotive lug
and literally fell out when I touched it.

I contacted Mark at Force 12 and was advised that use of a "nickle" based anti-seize compound is highly recommended for these studs.
That info is not currently in the manual for this antenna but Mark indicates it will added as a precaution to take during assembly.
Only "nickle" based anti-seize should be used.  Having said that "nickle " based anti-seize is not easy to find especially in small
market areas and in small quantity containers. !  Copper and ceramic based anti-seize is fairly common but not good to use either
of these - especially copper.  I have not  yet been able to find any here but have finally found a source for nickle based anti-seize "tape" that
can be shipped to Canada.  Will have to redo the threads when that tape arrives.  Right now I have coated the bolts and threads and the
complete assembled studs with spray on anti-corrosion grease that should hold for a while.

I pass  this info along in the event that other users may be experiencing erratic SWR readings on 20M.  Check the studs holding the
linear loading wires!

73 Frank VO1HP