[TowerTalk] Stainless/Aluminum Galvanic Corrosion

Bill Harris w7kxb at msn.com
Fri Sep 16 12:42:19 PDT 2011

Grant:Thanks for the heads-up on the McMaster Antiseize Lubricant.Your link took me to an ISD web site where I found the product, in an 8 oz container, for about $22+.  Was hoping I could find it at my local hardware store, but this particular product is marketed in the Industrial sector and normally not carried by your mass merchandising outlets such as ACE; Lowels etc.  However, never say die, I found a Permatex product on a Sears web site.  It's less than $22 and it comes in a 16 oz container. For our application it will last more than a life time.  Maybe "we" can repackage it into a 1 oz. tube and resell it??I understand that Stainless Steel, being more noble than Aluminum,, contributes to the cause of corrosion.  I would think Cad plated hardware would be the way to go since Cadmium is Aluminum's neighbor on the Galvanic table.
I'm not sure if a Nickel loaded anti seize compound would be the way to go since Nickel is way more nobel than Stainless Steel.   I'll leave it up to the on line experts to bring us up to speed on this subject,
Carry-onBill-w7kxb