[TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Sep 17 04:44:51 PDT 2011

From: Grant Saviers <grants2 at pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing insert overlap...

With the goal of shortening the rebuilt antenna, you might consider a
Moxon derivative from your Al farm.  Dave Leeson has published a mod to
the Cushcraft 2L 40m (Visalia & Dayton 2004).

I'm halfway through a scratch build of the his "W6NL 40m Moxon Yagi
120mi/h" (with K6KR, we are building two).  This is V3 of his 40m Moxon
designs.  It is just under 49' tip to tip.

%%%  I think W6NL  did  two versions of his 40m moxon eles.  The 1st one
is not that strong.  Some have reported it blowing apart in 65 mph winds. The 2nd
version is a lot stronger.....and heavier.   Does anybody know if the moxon 40m ele
resonates on 15M.   The F-12  40m ...N type els  do NOT resonate on 15m.

%%%  Since he`s talking abt using a 40m rotary dipole, this is not that big an issue, since the
40m el  can always be turned  90 degs.  It should anyway.  Then you end up with least amount
of mast torque.   This assumes that the 40m dipole is mounted way up at the top of a mast..with
yagi`s mounted lower down...on the same mast.

later... Jim  VE7RF