[TowerTalk] Yagi antennas

Danny Pease dpease at adams.net
Mon Sep 19 12:14:28 PDT 2011

I think the VHF/UHF world settled on insulated elements mostly due to not
having to worry about keeping a good low resistance connection between the
elements and the boom. On HF, the mounting method usually makes a good
electrical connection over many years more easily obtainable, the smaller
material used for elements at VHF/UHF is a bit tougher to insure the
connection does not deteriorate over the years. Cushcraft VHF yagis used a
DC mounting method that appeared to work well, almost everything all other
companies use elements insulated from the boom.

NG9R

     I am wondering if anyone knows of any studies done with like Yagi
antennas, one with elements insulated from the boom, and one with elements
grounded to the boom, and how their respective performances compared.

     73 Pete N4KW