[TowerTalk] shipping large, heavy object

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Tue Sep 20 08:23:59 PDT 2011

Anything that heavy shipped as a single unit is freight.  The first rule of LTL shipping is that the truck driver drives the truck and stinks up the bathroom if you let him use it.  Nothing else. You're responsible for loading the truck and the recipient is responsible for unloading.  The prerequisite for both is a loading dock and a forklift or a pallet jack.

The prerequisite for parcel shipping is that the parcel has to be liftable by a man - any man.  If you're going to ship 185 lbs by parcel, you'll need to disassemble it into pieces that meet the maximum weight and size limits.

If it was me, I'd bring it to work where there are both loading docks and forklifts and arrange for freight pickup there.  Or sell it to someone who takes complete responsibility for transportation - incoterms EXW.

Al
AB2ZY