[TowerTalk] Replacing MAin lift cable on TX-472

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 21 14:07:50 PDT 2011

Dan,

I have replaced the bottom section in my old Tristao 71 footer which is
almost like your TX-472.  The article Dan, N5AR refers to on web page
www.sdxa.org
Select articles to find what he refers to:
The article tells you how to pin the tower and I and the late Bill Wall
KC4UZ did just that in 1993.  I got some good cable locally.  You need to
remove the old cable and make sure you have enough to attach at the top of
the bottom section, come down the section and completely wrap around the
winch.
You need to find a foundry to attach the cable to the ring at the other end.
I first used a boat shop and forgot that they pull boats horizontally not
vertically.  A foundry will understand and make sure the connection is
strong.  If no you can use 3 or 4 cable clips and make sure they are as
tight as possible.

The TX-472 does not have a continuous cable system as each section has its
own cable.  The cables above the bottom section seem to last a lot longer as
I replaced them in 1993 but as Steve, L7LXC said some time ago only replace
them when necessary.  The bottom cable frays, gets kinks, and flattens out.
If you can feel strands broken off then its time to replace.  Otherwise you
are wasting your time.

Good luck
73 Dave K4JRB