[TowerTalk] HY-GAIN Electric Wench System from the 1980's?

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 15:03:32 PDT 2011

Hi Len.

I did a little searching and came up with various older email references
but this one from W7WLL ( http://www.qrz.com/db/w7wll ) looks really
promising:

Recently I queried this site about 'positive pulldown cables' for the
HyGain crankup towers, based upon some sketchy info I had been given.

I received several replies, including some who were interested in the
same information.

Skip, KJ6Y, noted that the cables I was referring to were probably NOT
'positive pulldown cables', but for another purpose. He was correct.

I rummaged through my unopened box containing the remote control for the
electric winch that came with my tower (neither had never been opened -
duh) and found an original manual (9 pages) of the Telex/Hy-Gain Model
HG-EWRC Electric Winch Remote Control Order No. 124. The cables that I
was inquiring about (and was given 1 illustrative page) as 'positive
pulldown cables' are shown in this manual. The cable system is described
as " . . . designed to prevent accidental damage to personnel and/or
equipment by shutting off power to the winch if something should
interfere with its proper operation." They are apparently not what most
refer to as 'positive pulldown cables'.

Because the number of cables needed vary depending upon tower height
(sections), the cables would have had to be ordered separately. Next
job, rummage through the second box and see it the cable set applicable
to the HG-70HD are in it. If not, the lengths needed are easy to figure
out (it appears all the subparts like thimbles ect are in little box
with the remote console) and I'll need to purchase some 1/4 in SS from
the fleet rigger up the coast.

Thanks again everyone for the input and help.

Don W7WLL
w7wll at arrl.net

Now I will have to get to the electric winch box and see what is in it.

If someone needs a copy of this manual I'd be happy to make a copy and
only ask that you provide a self addressed #10 or larger envelope with
two units of first class postage (.61 cents) affixed.
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/ItJeXINKmF4y8fIhQPkt

I hope this helps you.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC