[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Tue Sep 27 20:29:07 PDT 2011

>C just barely makes it out of low level. Of course today's C comes in many levels and flavors. We used to call C a "write only"
>language as it was more difficult to read than assembler.

I didn't want to start an alt.towertalk.c.programming.advocacy type of sidebar...but I do agree with you.  When I was first introduced to C back in the CISC minicomputer days, I always felt that most C programs would translate 1:1 into assembly language.  This isn't true with the RISC based machines like the PIC as the architecture is very different and the instructions are very rudimentary.  For example, there is no deferred addressing, which is easy to implement in C.

DEC had a C clone language called BLISS-32 that all the VMS operating system utilities were written in.  The scheduler, memory management, device drivers and such were written in assembler, everything else was in BLISS.

Al
AB2ZY