[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question/band decoder

W7ZZ w7zz at wavecable.com
Tue Sep 27 21:42:55 PDT 2011

I'm building two automatic antenna switches now, one around the RCS-4 and the other around the RCS-10, each based on the band decoder sold by Unified Microsystems for $18.95.  http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html  Each will take the BCD output from my Microham u2R which, in turn, takes the band data from either DX Lab Suite or N1MM (the Yaesu protocol), and will automatically change the antenna in use depending on the band selected by the radio/software.  If I can design and build it, you can.  The only trick is, if you want the antenna switch to switch both the Ameritron remote switch and a bandpass filter such as the Dunestar, you may need two decoders with one having plus side switching and one minus side switching, requiring Unified Microsystem's HSD9 as well as the decoder.  Give the UM device a look.  73 W7ZZ