[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 question

Jim Hargrave w5ifp at gvtc.com
Wed Sep 28 12:34:02 PDT 2011

Charlie,

>From all the post, its obvious that there are many ways to skin this cat.
You can go basic or elaborate, depending on the need: time/budget

I modified an RCS-4 for my Son-n-law. To simplify the switching we installed
a 4 wire control line and eliminated the RF circuit in the control box.
I used an NPN (2n5306) & a PNP (TIP-125) in a Darlington configuration to
pull each relay. I made one circuit for each relay and it also lights up the
Appropriate LED. You could do this with relays in the control box and leave
the remote switch original. We chose to separate the control circuit from
the RF line. If you add relays to the control box, you could install a
transistor to pull each relays using the LPT signals.

He is controlling the switch with "Logger32" which provides Either Decimal
or BCD control (user choice) via the LPT port. Programmed outputs are based
on the radio frequency read by the Logging program.

I use a similiar switching circuit on my TRW 4 pole rotary RF switch.

    73s de Jim
       W5IFP