[TowerTalk] Harness, Gorilla Hooks

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 18:55:01 PDT 2011

In a message dated 9/28/2011 4:53:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I just bought a Klein harness, which has an eye in the  back, behind the
shoulders.  This looks like a very bad idea to me,  since a fall will
surely
drive ones face into the tower.  With a  little bad luck, it will hook ones
chin on a brach and break ones  neck.
What am I missing here??

    Umm, the whole purpose of the Fall Arrest  Harness? That is,  the
D-ring between the shoulder blades is the  primary point of suspension when
behind held by your Fall Arrest Lanyard  that's attached to the tower above you
and is the central  life-saving device of the whole system.

    In the old days, in the event of a fall with a  safety belt, it would
ride up under your rib cage, immobilize your diaphragm  and suffocate you.
The D-ring in the back catches you in a more natural  position that prevents
further damage.

>  Steve's harness has  no chest hook, so if using a runner one will wind
up
hanging more or less  horizontal, with severe stress on the spine when
fetching up on the  lanyard.
What am I missing here?

    Your hands and feet are pointing towards the  ground. You're caught by
the FAL and, if using a shock absorbing lanyard,  you're more or less
semi-gently decelerated in a body natural position.

    D-rings on the chest are for specialized use  and most hams don't have
a safety climb system that would utilize  it.

>  Re hooks:  I saw some guys climbing a while back  with large OPEN hooks,
which were great for easy moving while  climbing.  They were like giant
fish
hooks, maybe four inches across  the opening...no snap gates to deal with.
What are they called?  I  didn't see them at any of the dealers.

    Because they're ILLEGAL! Good grief. Would you  trust your life to an
open hook? I hope not. OSHA compliant fasteners have to  be double action.

>  Obviously I haven't started climbiing yet,  but hope to soon.

    Do yourself a favor and please get ahold of a  copy of my tower book
and read the section on safety equipment. And while  you're at it, read about
ALL the other things that pertain to installing a  safe, reliable tower and
antenna system. Available from _www.championradio.com_
(http://www.championradio.com) .

    And congratulations for buying a Klein harness.  They're expensive but
worth it if you don't mind the tariff.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -