[TowerTalk] Safety belt and gorilla hooks

Eugene Jensen eugenejensen at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 29 09:13:43 PDT 2011

Best thing you could have done. Now you have a safe KNOWN harness and the
history of it. If you are not used to wearing one I would with the help of a
friend on a chain hoist if you don't have a crane like where I retired from
to be work find out what it going to be like when an event happens for real.
You don't want to learn that it was to loose or you happen to install it
wrong. Better to learn 6 inch off the floor than 60 feet in the air. We used
to call it Peter Pan training but it was a real eye opener. And above all
else make sure what you hook on to. That it can take a load of a falling
body. I had a Co worker on an underground tank inspection only still with us
because his Secord line stopped and held. He slipped and the bracket in the
cement wall sheared off and he hit the trailing rope and he won't make that
mistake again. There nothing wrong with gorilla hooks if they are the rebar
style with the double catch. I think the ones I have are 2 1/2 opening made
by miller and rated at 5000 lbs. 73 Gene K2QWD happily retired.