[TowerTalk] DX Engineering Coax Stripper Question

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Thu Sep 29 23:25:00 PDT 2011

On 9/30/2011 1:19 AM, Tony wrote:
> All,
>
> Does anyone know if the DX Engineering coax strippers can be used for
> both crimp-on and solder connectors? I need to make a bunch of LMR-240
> jumpers with crimp-on connectors and was wondering if the DXE-UT-808X
> was suitable for the job.
>
> http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=2375&PLID=138&SecID=127&DeptID=36&PartNo=DXE-UT-808X
> <http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=2375&PLID=138&SecID=127&DeptID=36&PartNo=DXE-UT-808X>

I'd have to actually compare both connectors, but I think you will find
that it takes a bit of extra hand work as the crimp and clamp connectors
require slightly different lengths of insulation and shield be stripped
back.  Although I have strippers for crimp and clamp, N and UHF
connectors to fit most cables, I often resort to box cutters.  CNT-240
is particularly fussy about stripping tools be properly adjusted and as
I mentioned before, it has a very fragile shield. Still with care, you
can make good, solid connections.

Their view of 8X and mine differ a bit as I've never seen 8X that didn't
have the soft jacket.  CNT-240 has a jacket that is quite stiff.

73

Roger (K8RI)