[TowerTalk] heat shrink weathering

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Fri Sep 30 11:46:39 PDT 2011

On 9/30/2011 2:27 PM, Marlon K. Schafer (509-982-2181) wrote:
> mmm or 3m?
>
> I've used the glue filled version of that too.  It just doesn't stick
> to the coax after a while and that leaves a way for water to get in.

I've never had a problem with the MMM coming loose, or rather the
glue...unsticking?
I've used it on Davis BuryFlex(TM), 8X, CNT240, LMR400, LMR-600 and the
UF versions of the LMR cables.  The jacket does have to be clean and dry
(no finger prints) and it takes a bit of extra heat installing it in
cold weather.
I also leave about a 2" to 3" overlap on each end.
I typically wipe the jacket with a lint free paper towel wet with
Acetone. Shop towels usually work fine.

I start by applying heat in the center of the connection and working out
so the center shrinks down tight and then forces any air out the ends
and they progressively shrink.

73

Roger (K8RI)