[TowerTalk] TailTwister overhaul

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Apr 1 19:09:42 PDT 2012

On 4/1/2012 9:03 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Thanks,  I'll put a new one in  for good measures and see what happens.
> It is probably due to be replaced after all these years anyway.

I just set the thing in a cake pan, drew the line down the outside and
lifted the top off. In that I was going to either clean or replace the
bearings I was not real concerned about them falling into the pan. One
thing I forgot to mention is that after lifting the top off, I drew a
matching line on the SS gear and one showing the present alignment of
the direction indicator inside the bell.

I did not have to replace any parts except the bearings and terminal
strip which I replaced with the pigtail and cable connector.  All gears
were in good shape as was the capacitor which was a real surprise.  Only
about a dozen of the bearings were in serious need of replacement.

If you find gears shot like they were in the link, I'd consider
something a bit larger as that rotator was seriously over worked.
For the big tower I use a PST-61, but for the 25G holding the Force 12
C19 XR and WARC-7 I use the Tail Twister or even a ham IV.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)