[TowerTalk] HAM IV rotor / mast slipping

Dick Dievendorff dieven at comcast.net
Thu Apr 5 11:21:16 PDT 2012

Someone suggested to me that I might increase the mast to clamp friction by
wrapping the mast with something with a little bite.  Do they make
double-sided emery paper that can tolerate being wet?

I have a clamp to mast size mismatch that I'm going to try to correct with
shims, and I might end up pinning too.  My prop pitch doesn't have a wedge
to break.

I've used pins (usually grade 8 bolts) in the past and they have failed
because they weren't hefty enough. The hole ended up larger than the pinning
bolt and the wind would work it back and forth enough that it eventually
fatigued and failed.  The hole got larger in this process.

I think I had too much on the mast.  I've changed that in my new
installation.

Dick, K6KR