[TowerTalk] flexible mast coupling

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 11:35:40 PDT 2012

>  As I see my stack of beams swinging back and forth in the  wind I am
thinking about adding a flexible shaft coupling above the rotor
to  absorb the shock,  I have read somewhere about using automotive drive
shaft  flex couplings and adapt them to clamp on to
our 2" masts.  I used to  have one of Bill Orr, W6SAI books on antennas and
if I remember right he used  one for a Volvo, and it
had a rubber donut between two flanges.  Anyone  make a flexible coupler
for their mast and would share what you used  ?

    It was actually Dave Leeson, W6NL, ex-W6QHS, and it  was in his book
"Physical Design of Yagi Antennas." I recall he used a BWM  coupler part. Of
course at his hilltop QTH above Los Gatos the winds  occasionally hit 140 MPH!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH