[TowerTalk] protective hose for COAX runs

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 11 18:18:27 PDT 2012

I just pulled three x BuryFlex/9913 plus one x LDF4.5 thru 140' of 3"
PVC conduit with 3 x 90deg sweeps.  I used lots of Ideal Yellow 77 Plus
cable pulling lube.  One person pulled and one fed about 3' at a time.
Using anti-chafe rings on the edges of the PVC hubs is important to
protect the cable jackets (they are code required on all electrical
conduits greater than 3/4" anyway).   It is also better to use braided
rope or flat pulling webbing to not induce twist in the cables being pulled.

Using large radius sweeps is a big plus, the big box store (HD) had 36"
radius and 48" radius are available at electrical suppliers.  Another
choice is to use continuous sch 40 PVC pipe and you can make very large
radius bends.  Flex pipe is tough to work with, better on a hot day to
get it into the trench. (or use the tractor+ripper+Kellem grip
technique, or have a horizontal boring company install it)

I recabled a Wil-Burt TV news truck mast once and you really don't want
to mess with pulling cables thru coils (or coil memory) of plastic hose
or conduit.  It was impossible to get the old cables out and difficult
to get new cables into the new $1000 piece of nylon conduit.

Grant KZ1W