[TowerTalk] another grounding reference MIL-HDBK-419A

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 06:45:02 PDT 2012

On 4/11/12 10:30 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> 812 pages of everything you might need to know, lots of clear
> explanations, many equations,&  implementation details.  (includes EMP
> protection)
>
> http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/pdf/mil-hdbk-419a.pdf
>
> Grant KZ1W

Yes..  and it has a nice set of graphs showing that inductance doesn't
vary much with diameter of conductor.

However, I couldn't find the "no sharp bends" guideline in there in a
quick read through, and I have most of the references it cites, and they
don't have it either.

It also uses the "cone of protection" thing, and some people think the
"rolling ball" is a better model, but that's a pretty fine point.

Being from the 80s, it also doesn't reflect the latest Electrical code
stuff with respect to grounding and bonding, but, again, the differences
are small.