[TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Apr 14 00:43:22 PDT 2012

On 4/14/2012 3:26 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 4/12/2012 7:44 PM, Dan Hearn wrote:
>>   If you would rather buy the chokes complete in weather tight boxes
>> they are sold by Balun Designs.
> I want to make it clear that I have no idea what Balun Designs is
> selling, I don't know them, I have had no communications with them, I
> have no business relationship with ANYONE selling chokes based on my
> designs, nor have I licensed ANYONE to sell them.  For what it's worth,
> putting a choke in a weatherproof box confines the heat that is produced
> within it, and can cause destructive failure.

My question is, why put the balun in a box?  Your designs survive out in
the elements just fine and normally receive maximum cooling that way.
The only changes I've made have been to tack the cores together with a
few dabs of epoxy.  This does restrict the cooling a bit, but not nearly
as much as in a box, makes them easy to wind and keeps things from
shifting around.  I often run the coax out of the choke through a 1/2"
of plexiglass for support. This basically leaves the entire balun
exposed to the elements.

> Any of my designs can be built VERY inexpensively, especially the ones
> that are bifilar wound with THHN in the form a parallel wire
> transmission line around a single #31 core, and were specifically

Inexpensive is a relative term.  I purchased a whole case of 2.4" # 31
cores and use them liberally.  They are likely to end up costing a
couple dollars more than a W2AU balun, but are far more effective.  Any
of current chokes/baluns in the tutorial can be wound with up to 6 turns
of LMR400 or Davis BuryFlex and those with 6 cores (IIRC) will cover
160.   It might take a little wire soap, but they can be made fairly
compact.  With wire antennas I sometimes add a lightning suppression
device either at the antenna or the grounding bulkhead where the coax
enters the building to prevent static buildup.

73

Roger (K8RI)