[TowerTalk] Chokes and RFI in a Vehicle

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Apr 14 17:23:28 PDT 2012

On 4/14/2012 2:19 PM, Rick Stealey wrote:
> Would a current balun (choke?) be a possible solution to a problem of "RF on your audio, OM" in my mobile installation?

Yes, if RF coupling is truly the cause, and it should go at the base of
the antenna. Multiple turns of RG58 around a single #31 core would be
quite effective.  If RF was getting in through a Pin One problem on one
of the cables, winding multiple turns of each cable through a core large
enough to hold the turns would be a good move.

  There is, however, another very different cause of what SOUNDS like RF
feedback, but is actually modulation of the V- conductor by TX current.
This modulation, which is the envelope of the RF signal, can be added to
any unbalanced connection of audio equipment to the transmitter. One
very good solution is to get DC power for the interconnected equipment
from transmitter end of the DC cable that runs from the battery to the
transmitter.

Although it may seem counter-intuitive, bonding the rig to the auto
frame is NOT a good thing, because it provides a second path for return
noise currents.  That's why a two-conductor cable running straight to
the battery is so important -- indeed, twisted pair would be best if
relatively large gauge copper was available.  Zip cord is, in general,
lousy for RF rejection.

73, Jim Brown K9YC