[TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 10:20:18 PDT 2012

On 4/15/12 9:51 AM, Rick Stealey wrote:

> If the concrete is 7 -8 feet deep, why is the bolt only about 2 feet long?  I always wondered about that, and yes, it's true, I had a very hard time with Statics in college.

Presumably there's rebar in that concrete.  The bolt is there to attach
the tower to the concrete, not to hold the concrete together.  If you
had some magic epoxy that you could glue the base to the concrete with,
then you could use that, and NO bolts.

Practically speaking, the bolt is long enough that the "pullout" force
is high enough (e.g. greater than the strength of the bolt)