[TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 07:18:52 PDT 2012

On 4/16/12 6:54 AM, EZ wrote:

>   In theory and if you followed the tower mfg. directions, the top of the
>   concrete pad will be crowned and water will not be trapped around the
>   protruding anchor bolts.  Before I poured concrete, I painted the top of
> the
>   bolts (threaded portion) with etching primer.  After my tower was
> installed,
>   I wet down the top of the bolts, nuts, etc. with WD40 and made some cheap
>   covers out of short lengths of PVC and PVC end caps.  Water stays off the
>   bolts now and the oil keeps them from rusting.  Once a year I recoat with
>   WD40, and they look as new as when they were installed.

As a philosophical thing, I tend to prefer installation schemes where
there's no annual/periodic maintenance required.

That's one of the advantages of, for instance, exothermic welding
(Cad-Weld One-shots) over a compression clamp.  Or of crimp fittings
over bolt on.

I know others have different opinions.. some enjoy the annual
inspection.. maybe it's like signaling the change of seasons.

And I will readily admit that there are other things one should do with
one's antenna system on a periodic basis (e.g. checking the cables,
etc.) so maybe it's just a matter of having a checklist and adding some
stuff to it.