[TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 04:42:23 PDT 2012

Hi All, this is an observation from an innocent bystander:

With constant power level, if the antenna Z increases, The voltage
increases as well, right? Conservation of energy then requires the current to
decrease, right?

The rf voltage on the coax shield where it connects to the  antenna would
be the voltage referenced to ground at that half of the antenna.  The choke
current would be that voltage divided by the choke impedance (also
referenced to ground), Is that right?

So, one might think that a higher Z antenna = higher E = higher choke
current? If so, power loss is then I^2 X whatever resistive loss is present in
the choke.

2X Z = 1.414 X voltage = 1.414 X choke current = 2 X loss. if the above is
true?

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 4/19/2012 3:08:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time,