[TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Thu Apr 19 09:25:39 PDT 2012

I was contacted privately on this issue by someone whose engineering
ability I well respect. He confirmed what I have been saying, but
suggested that the link between choke dissipation and SWR is "best not
mentioned" for fear some folk would interpret it to mean that SWR
*causes* CM current.

I prefer to think that TowerTalk readers are sufficiently technically
aware that they can distinguish between "SWR affects choke dissipation"
and "SWR causes choke dissipation"; but for clarity, let me stress that
SWR does *not* _cause_ CM current: even when an antenna is perfectly
matched, CM current may still be present.

However, as we have seen, the magnitude of the antenna impedance (and
therefore the SWR) directly determines the differential-mode voltage at
the feedpoint, the CM voltage at that point, the CM current, and
therefore the choke dissipation.

Steve G3TXQ