[TowerTalk] 80' insulated mast

Jim Hoge knowkode at verizon.net
Thu Apr 19 13:30:33 PDT 2012

Alex,

PVC pipe in no shape or form will work for your intended purpose. You couldn't guy it enough to make it stable and it is prone to breakage right at the diameter change of a glued joint.

Military tent poles (about 1 3/4" diameter) that are commonly seen for sale are good to about 20 feet. Anything taller will take a serpentine approach skyward. Again, too much guying.

While I haven't used this product for the height you are seeking, I have found it very suitable in its 20 foot length for either coil forms or a helical wound antenna.It is Ameron Dualoy fiberglass pipe. Its intended use is primarily for oil and gas distribution. Think storage tank to pump. It is light weight and quite rigid, unlike PVC or tent poles.

73,
Jim W5QM