[TowerTalk] Boots

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:55:42 PDT 2012

I use a pair of heavy leather hiking boots, like these:

http://www.limmerboot.com/Standard.html

Nylon shank, lots of support, good heel and a wide space in the Vibram between the heel and sole so you can hook either way.

Mine happen to be custom-made. I got them in 1989 and have had them re-soled twice (the soles wore down from hiking, not climbing towers!)I believe the custom boots were $280 per pair back then. Last I checked, they were $750 per pair with a four year wait. Don't know what the off-the-shelf models cost, but they're a lot cheaper.

My custom boots are actually a little heavier than the standard model: 5 lbs. They're really designed for backpacking with a heavy load. These days I only use them only for that (rarely) or when I'm hiking a considerable distance on rocky summits/ridges above treeline or ascending/descending very steep and rocky terrain. It looks like the Mid-Weight or Light-Weight would be just as sturdy for tower work and are much lighter. The Ultra-lights look too soft.

73, Dick WC1M