[TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sat Apr 21 00:38:40 PDT 2012

Gerald,

You analysis is correct!

Of course, the CM impedance "looking into" the coax braid at the
feedpoint varies depending on the coax length: if the coax is well
grounded at the shack end and is an odd multiple of a quarter-wave long,
the CM impedance will be very high and you probably don't need a choke;
but if it's a multiple of a half-wave long the impedance can be very low
and far more current will flow along the braid than into the dipole leg.

I've been doing some work over the past day or so to try to understand
better what the common-mode impedances are; a typical worst case with
the coax 3/4 wave long was 16+j0 - that made the CM current about 10
times the current into the dipole leg!!

Understanding the range of CM impedances we're likely to encounter has
implications for the choke design. I'll start a new thread to outline
what I've been doing on that topic.

73,
Steve G3TXQ