[TowerTalk] base insulators

Jim Hoge knowkode at verizon.net
Wed Aug 1 09:02:21 PDT 2012

David,

I have pondered using this style insulator but have had concerns as to how well they could survive the forces you experienced which led to failure. One option would be to fabricate a pier pin to bolt to the top of the insulator so that the tower base insulator behaves as a pier pin on which a tower pier pin base plate sits, or better yet, a tapered bottom section of tower. My other concern lies in the relatively small diameter of the insulator with respect to the tower diameter. I would be more comfortable with a wider insulator especially at its base and cap. I have seen 1/4" base plates bent because of the forces applied between anchor bolts and tower legs. The answer of course it to fabricate with thicker plate when the forces cannot be kept linear.

73,
Jim W5QM