[TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum Towers

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Aug 10 13:10:40 PDT 2012

Hans Hammarquist wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> I have a Universal Tower in my back yard and am happy with it. As it is
> only part Universal (and part Heights) I decided to put up a few guy wires
> (4) with it. (Makes it stand 130 MPH wind with 20 sqf wind load). The
> Universal pieces fit very well together and I find it very plausible you
> will be able to do the gin-pole job. My tower has a total high of 85'.
>
> Hans - N2JFS

That's interesting. It seems like all the tapered sections would
have to be the same brand, and you could only intermate straight
sections of the other brand by turning them upside down.  Can you
explain how you did this?  I have Heights sections and was under
the impression that they are the only brand with the swaged end
at the bottom.

How did you spread the load out at the guy attach points on the
tower to avoid buckling the tubing?  I'm looking for good ideas
here.

Rick N6RK