[TowerTalk] Grease

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Aug 15 09:24:08 PDT 2012

>  ?Just wondered what type of grease others used for the  tower ropes?? I
have used a black graphite grease made up for me by a friend  several
decades ago, and I am now running out!? I did consider using ordinary  car
lubricating type grease together with an anti rust called waxoil.?

    Your choices are all wrong. A grease type of  lubricant will only
attract particulates and crud while keeping any moisture in  the strands - both
which will accelerate wear and rusting.

    You want a thin type of lubricant that'll soak into  the strands which
is what you're trying to lubricate and will not attract any  crud. Champion
Radio Products carries PreLube 6 which is what the wire rope  manufacturers
recommend. There is more information in my UP THE TOWER book  (available
from _www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com) ).

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH