[TowerTalk] K9LT/K3LR Lazy Vee Array - rigging question

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 10:30:24 EDT 2012

Hi Pete -

I was not aware of the QST article but at about that about time, after some
modeling I morphed my three element sloping dipole array into what I call a
three bent vertical dipole array. I have found it to be very much worth the
minimal effort. According to the modeling, it's good for 3 or 4 db gain, but
more importantly it lowers the radiation angle from 25-30 degrees sown to
just under 20 - great for 80 meters.

Relative to you comments/questions. If I get the picture correctly it sounds
like you would be using the guys to support at least the top half of the
dipole. I don't think that would lift the feed  point high enough, resulting
in the bottom halves crossing at the base of the tower. Probably not
terrible serious, but certainly not most desirable.

To those with sloping dipole arrays, I would highly recommend  recommend
converting them to "bent vertical" dipoles. Just put a rope from the center
insulator out to where the bottom half of the dipole ends, possibly out just
a little further out to account for sag, and then bring the bottom half of
the dipole back to the tower base. this results in canceling most of the
horizontal radiation and gives you a good efficient low angle vertical
radiator without the need for radials. Use three of these (at 120 degree
spacing). Feed one at a time and leave about 5/8 wave of open  (shield must
also float - DPDT relays) feeder on the unused dipoles.  The unused dipoles
then look like reflectors and give 10-20 db F/B. The patterns are about 120
degrees wide so you get quite good azimuth coverage with just three. About
the only shortcoming I find is that the forward vertical aperture is quite
wide, letting in more noise than a good straight vertical. Otherwise, from a
forward gain standpoint, it comes very close to a four square, without
needing the radials. But, yes, it does require a fairly high tower.

Gene / W2LU