[TowerTalk] u clamp sizes for phyllistran?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 17:54:35 EDT 2012

>  That's it.  Many years ago I installed a Glenn Martin  70' aluminum tower
which used 4000I philly and used cable  clamps.

    That was probably in the days before the Big Grips  were available.
Using cable clamps on the Phillystran led to cold-flow of the  aramid fibers
and a reduction in strength - a big problem. But you weren't  tensioning them
to the 400# you'd need for regular guys so your risk exposure  was pretty
small.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH