[TowerTalk] Rotator cable and mast questions

Andreas Hofmann Andreas.Hofmann at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 1 02:34:57 EST 2012

Hi group,

I am in the final stretch of getting my DB18 up onto a MA 550.  Rotator arrived today, its an alfa spid RAK, top mounted.  Questions:

1.       What rotator cable? I am trying to figure out what rotator cable requirements there are. I know it can draw 2 to 4 amps at 12V. My run will be roughly 200 feet from controller to rotator. I am thinking a 12-2 (2 wire 12 gauge) cable and a smaller one for the sensor.  Is 12 gauge adequate for this length?

2.       What mast material? I need a 3 - 4 feet mast below the rotator and another 3.-4 feet mast between rotator and antenna.  Went to Home Depot, they have galvanized 2 inch water pipe (with 1/8 " wall). Is that adequate. Its called schedule 40. In K7LXC's book I read that either "for small antennas or mounted right on top of tower, I can get away with pipe".  Schedule 40 seems to have a yield strength of 30,000 lb/inch^2.    Will this be strong enough for my application?  If not, what are other good places to purchase drawn aluminium tube?  Plumbing supply?

Thanks, Andy

KU7T