[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Rohn loading

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Dec 10 16:16:27 EST 2012

>    Rohn assumes that you have other
wind  loading such as multiple runs of Heliax running up each tower leg.
Personally  I use a larger lower guy cable than specified when  stacking
antennas.

    Umm, I'd say this is a violation of the LXC Prime  Directive to :DO
what the manufacturer says" and the inverse which is "DON'T do  what they don't
tell you."

    The capacity of a tower is due to the leg strength.  With a guyed
tower, there is a bunch of leg pre-load due to guy wire  tensioning, and don't
forget the weight of the guy wires. Using larger guy wire  can increase the
load on the legs before anything is installed on the tower  either by added
guy tension or added guy wire weight. I wouldn't recommend  either.

    And use of a larger guy wire doesn't really do  anything to increase
the capacity or reliability of the tower. It's already been  designed for a
certain set of materials and parameters.

    Violation of the LXC Prime Directive is at your own  risk.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH