[TowerTalk] mast for two big antennas

Mike Ryan mryan001 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 13:19:41 EST 2012

Jorge, I have no idea of what the availability of this type of mast would be
to you.  I have been using it here in Florida (and also at my station in
Virginia when I lived outside the D.C. area in the '90s). This is 4130
chrome molly steel tubing. The word tubing is the primary descriptor I
think, in that there is no seam such as you might find when using some kind
of pipe. I bought a half dozen or so 24 ft lengths from the Dillsburg
Aeroplane Works up in Pennsylvania back in the late '80s when I was putting
together a station in northern Virginia.  I had them galvanized before using
them. These were 125,000 psi tubes very similar to the materials used to
build racing car safety cages as I recall.  I don't recall if the units I
bought were 1/4" wall or 3/8" wall but they are heavy to be sure at these
lengths. But as an antenna mast they worked great for me. I stacked a HyGain
205BA over a HyGain Discoverer III ( that's a 5 element 20mtr monobander
over a 3 ele 40mtr monobander) and this mast held up very well.  I am using
a shortened length of one of these same masts now here in Florida on my 70ft
crank-up. -73, Mike