[TowerTalk] 80M Ideas

Jack White G8DX m5pro at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:13:09 EST 2012

Thank you to everybody that has replied so far both on and off the list. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Butternut HF2V with top loading wires. I did think about a delta loop but came to the conclusion that with only 60ft of vertical height to play with, it would be too mishapen and also the horizontal bottom wire would get in the way of our garden's intended use. Regarding shunt feeding the tower, at the moment I have some control cables running through the bottom of it and also a couple of feeders to experimental RX antennas that I've been playing with. Also, I'm wary of causing problems to my Prosistel rotator.

For those interested, I will be able to deploy about 40 radials varying in the length between 25ft and 60ft, some bent, some straight, in all directions. I haven't a clue about the conductivity of my soil.

Would still like to know if the insulated Optibeams have an effect on my tower's resonant frequency or not? If they do then I guess the tower is resonant well below 80m, if they don't then I guess it's very close if not in 80m. If the tower is resonant on 80m I wonder what effect it may have on an HF2V mounted about 50ft away? I do understand though, every situation is different, and I will never *really* know until I try it.

73

Jack G8DX