[TowerTalk] Bye Bye Birdies

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 29 00:16:06 EST 2012

On 12/28/12 9:11 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
> Another option for bird control is to get one of the plastic owls and put him up on the tribander.
> My results were negative, evidently the birds in our area aren't scared of owls because the owl didn't help at all.
> When i took it down I discovered the birds had crapped all over it.   :-)

my in-laws experience with their vineyard was that birds are discouraged
by novelty and change.  reflective ribbons one week, owls the next, etc.
  That doesn't lend itself to antennas

the other strategy which seems to work quite well is to make what ever
it is "not sittable on".  those funky plastic spiky things or
string/monofilament.

Of course, neither of the latter are particularly easy to do on
something like a multielement beam, especially if you want it to last
for decades.

For ordinary wire antennas.. I suppose, if you use strong enough copper
clad steel, the birds can just sit on the wire forever.