[TowerTalk] Fwd: Earthing a tower

Randy randy at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 22:30:03 EST 2012

FWIW I *do* recall a gent, on this list, a few years back, that said
that lightning had, in fact,
caused his concrete *guy anchor* to fail, resulting in the loss of the
tower, at some point
some years prior. This was in one of these similar threads.

That's not to say that it's safe to assume anything about the anchor
prior to the strike.

I'm merely pointing out that, in the "real world", there appears to be
at least one case
of this happening.

I locate underground water leaks here in Florida, and lots of them are
caused by lightning,
and I've seen *plenty* of spalling associated with those same strikes.
And, yes, lightning
does do just whatever it wants to do. Enough of it can make it into a
home and down a
buried 3/4" copper pipe to leak anywhere in the home it wants to. I feel
like "most" of
the strikes I deal with come down the electrical mains, and yet do not
necessarily cause
the leak at some point near the electrical service entrance. Whatever
the mode may be,
however it "gets in", it feels no obligation to cause the leak very near
to the outer perimeter
of the home, as one might expect...if you "expect" lightning to behave
predictably.

73 and HNY
Randy
KZ4RV