[TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] A tub to receive my coax

Larry Loen lwloen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:21:03 EST 2012

Wow, I've received a bunch of _very_ ingenious answers, but as they were
mostly private, I won't post them.

Still, it suggests some added clarifications:

1.  As I live in Arizona, there is a summer 'monsoon' season with serious
lightning potentials.  Some colleagues here tend to leave their tower
retracted in the summer when DX is scarce and lightning is more common.
I've seen cloud to ground out here out of clouds that aren't even _raining_
yet.  Lots of it, in fact.    So, I'm planning on at least some periods of
time with the tower routinely retracted.  Lightning strike potential, per
year, is at least as strong here as anywhere else I've lived.  It may be
the dessert, but lightning doesn't seem to care.

2.  At least some of the time (probably all of the time), I will leave the
tilt-over feature in place.  One advantage of the dessert is that I don't
have to worry too much about a stainless steel gadget rusting to start
with.  Ditto the cabling.  W0IBM, as I recall, left theirs out permanently,
too, with way more rain and snow.  I'm assuming 120 degree heat isn't an
issue I should worry about if it's just "sitting there."  I doubt if
tilting it over on hot days will be common.

3.  Because the tilt over will be at least sometimes there and because the
finish on the cement is fairly rough, I don't want to see the coax and
control cable scuffed.  Someone suggested I might consider netting to
"catch" the coax on lowering.  That is an option to consider.

4.  It appears based on available experience that I need something closer
to a 30 inch diameter than a 14 inch one.  Noted.

5.  Suggestions have also been made that there may be enough standoff in
the standoffs as to allow me to attach it to each arm as I really want.  I
have not put those arms in place yet, so I really don't know how it is
going to line up, exactly.  I'll look for opportunities to tie the coax to
the arms.  That really would be my preferred solution.  Some have suggested
giving up on remote raising/lowering and guiding the coax with some sort of
control ropes (I presume, dacron ropes).  That would be another way to deal
with the snagging problem.

Again, "keep all those cards and letters coming."  The ingenuity of this
group is nothing short of fabulous.

Larry Wo0Z