[TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower/ almost a horror story

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 11:08:44 PST 2012

Back in my younger and dumber days I tried lowering 24 feet  of very heavy
aluminum tower with some big steel folding mechanism on  top.

The plan was to tie a rope to the top part, and back around a  tree to act
as a brake.  I was going to hold the rope and had the rope  wrapped around
my hand.  All went as planned until the tower got to 30  degrees from
vertical.  It started to slide very fast and I got pinned to  the tree with the
rope around my hand and the rope kept getting tighter and  tighter.  I was in a
really bad situation and managed to get my hand  somewhat loose.  When I
did the tower started freefalling and taking the  rope with it.  My hand was
still somewhat enclosed by the rope and I got  about 25 feet of rope buzzing
over the top part of my hand.  Lots of blood  but no serious damage

I started shaking after the whole affair.   It scared the crap out of me to
think I might have lost my hand.  I  still have the big scar across the top
of my left hand from that smart  move.

Oh, the tower came down with a crash, but was no worse for  the wear!  It
fared better than the owner.

Moral...dropping the tower from vertical to horizontal is a  lot trickier
than it seems.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS