[TowerTalk] tower setbacks/falling trees

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 06:21:25 PST 2012

On 2/4/12 9:37 PM, Gene Smar wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>

Very slick web aoo..

However, just because the failure point in a windloading situation is
halfway up the tower doesn't mean that it will fall neatly folded up,
which was the original issue: setback and whether it's reasonable for
the locality to require that you have enough land for the tower to fall
straight out without crossing a property line.

I can see someone spending a sufficient amount of engineering analysis
time and perhaps coming up with an analysis that would make the local
authorities approve a waiver, but I think it would be an uphill battle.

My experience on seeking waivers in general is that as soon as your
analysis starts to get complex and require a fair amount of
understanding of underlying principles, the odds of approval go down.