[TowerTalk] XM240 Mast Clamp

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Feb 6 07:23:30 PST 2012

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:51:20 -0800
From: Grant Saviers <grants2 at pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 Mast Clamp
Try the DX Engineering Saddle Clamps as they have a lot of contact area
with the mast with the cast aluminum saddle.  The 2" size comes in two
bolt diameters, obviously the 3/8" u-bolt can handle more tightening torque.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=14&SecID=1&DeptID=33

We used three for boom plate to mast clamping of two 40m Moxons, so far
so good w/o any pinning.

Grant KZ1W

On 2/6/2012 6:37 AM, Charles Lind wrote:
> I have a Cushcraft XM240 at 90 feet which, despite double lock nutting and
> Locktight, rotates on its own several degrees in high winds.  The first
> time it did this the beam descended about a foot on the mast.  Cushcraft
> has no advice.  Does anyone know of  a boom to mast clamp assembly that is
> more secure than the original???  Tnx for any advice.
> 73, Chuck, N8CL

### here's the ones I use.  http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=82&SecID=1&DeptID=33
This is also a dx eng product.  Get the mating 3/8"  armour plated  G-8 bolts from dx eng as well.
They come in various lengths.  Then slop some never seize on the threads.  I copied the F-12
double plate idea, except I used 3/8" thick 6061-T6 plates.  both are 8" x 14". The super duty mast clamps
go on the vertical plate.  The regular dx eng saddle clamps as grant pointed out... go on the horizontal plate,
used to clamp the boom.   The super duty saddle clamps are massive things, and have LOADS of surface area.
They also have a textured surface.  They will NOT slip on your mast, not a chance. I also use them for  my mast steps,
one per step.

later... Jim  VE7RF