[TowerTalk] Hi-Z Antenna Stuff

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 7 10:01:27 PST 2012

> It's disappointing to see hams doing this to each other.

Yes, and it has caused me to avoid doing business with DXE when there
are other good choices.  I've done enough business with DXE that I've
got a half dozen or so hats and a clock, but when I needed to
troublshoot the Beverage system that I bought from them, I realized that
there's not a single schematic in any of the doc for it. It became a
real PITA to troubleshoot what was a very simple failure -- I had to
disassemble three boxes and draw the schematic of each by chasing traces
on the circuit boards. To make it even more of a PITA, the boxes were
assembled in such a manner that I had to remove ALL the chassis-mounted
connectors to remove the circuit board.  Now, having the connectors
chassis-mounted is a VERY good thing, but simply locating them on the
same side of the board and using shorter mounting screws for the board
would have made it far easier to work on without compromising performance.

With a schematic and board layout, I could easily have stuck a meter on
it and figured out the problem in a few minutes.

73, JimK9YC