[TowerTalk] Andrews Heliax Conx

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Feb 13 13:30:20 PST 2012

larryjspammenot at teleport.com wrote:
> I'm considering putting up a crank-up tower. What's the best recommended
> low-loss feedline for an antenna mounted on a tall crankup tower? I know
> that unfortunately you can't use heliax on a crankup, due to it wanting to
> kink (except maybe from the ham shack to the top of the lowest non-moving
> section of the tower, probably about 20 feet above ground.) From there,
> what do people using things like the tall HDX-5106 towers use, to try to

I have an HDX-5106 and use RG-218.  It passes through the loops
and coils up on the ground.  I am holding it with a Kellems type
grip (different vendor) so the connector is not under strain.
By dumb luck, I happened to have 150 feet of RG-218 with connectors that I
got at a swap meet for a very good price, long before I got the
HDX-5106.  I don't know what I would do if I had to buy
coax for real money now.

Rick N6RK