[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 110, Issue 59

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Feb 27 19:26:09 PST 2012

A W8JK antenna with single wires (i.e., no folded dipole type elements)
has a very low impedance ... something like 3 or 4 ohms if I remember
correctly, and that's for full sized elements.  I'm not sure I see the
point of feeding it with high impedance ladder line but I can easily
picture a pretty high SWR if he does.  It would make a lot more sense to
me to use the lowest impedance feedline available ... like maybe some 50
ohm coax in parallel of the right length to get an upward impedance
transformation to the shack.

I'd also be concerned about how ugly a 100:1 SWR on ladder line is going
to be when it gets wet.

Dave   AB7E