[TowerTalk] How to Level a Crank-up?

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jan 2 11:21:18 PST 2012

On 1/2/2012 1:25 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
> On a calm day, you could hang a string, with a small weight on the end, from
> the top of each tower leg.    Gene / W2LU
It's easier to hand the string from the top of the tower, down the inside.
OTOH I have never found a day calm enough to do this with  a  tower
taller than 40 feet.   I use the Transit level weight which comes to a
point.

Even an what felt like calm days the string would move off to one side
and it was very difficult to detect. Around here those days are very
rare.  With the 100 foot 45 G even on those hot sultry (suffocating)
calm summer days I find a light breeze at the top.
I used one of the laser transits, although a laser level would be much
cheaper.  However some of then are barely good enough to square up a
small room.

Mine is a guyed tower (45G) and the bottom two sections were carefully
leveled. Then the level was checked with each set of guys added. When I
got to the top it was just a matter of tightening the guys a 40 or 30#
at a time. So it went up straight.

With a crank up you can only level it for a calm day.  I think you will
find it will be surprisingly straight, except on really windy days and
those are when you want to crank it down anyway.

73

Roger (K8RI)