[TowerTalk] SurgeGuard?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 9 16:22:39 PST 2012

On 1/9/2012 1:53 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> I like the fact that the big MOVs are installed directly under the meter
> for low inductance and that they have a visual and audible means of
> reporting.

Everything I see on the website is mumbo jumbo, including the so-called
"technical" Q&A.

Low inductance is, indeed, a very good thing, and this package should
provide that -- at least as far as shunting the phases to neutral. The
fly in the ointment, of course, is the electrode system and the
inductance in that path.  Most houses are pretty weak in that area. :)

There are other issues -- MOVs WILL fail destructively when they have
absorbed enough energy, and the better protectors provide indicators and
alarms. The website says nothing about any of that, nor does it provide
any specifications of any sort. Being a country boy, I know a pig in a
poke when I see one. :)

In the business world, "white goods" are home appliances, like
refrigerators, washing machines, and the like.

73, Jim K9YC