[TowerTalk] Need 160-m. Shunt Feed guidelines

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 22:22:22 PST 2012

Hi Guys,

I'm at a QTH that has a 90' self-supporting aluminum tower that I'd like to
Slant (Shunt) Feed for 160-meters.  The tower is 90' high,
36" wide at the base ,and 18" wide at the top.  (no guy wires)

There are no other antennas on the tower.  I'm ready to connect a "Slant
Feed" wire to the tower which I believe models similiar to a Shunt Feed.  For
this location a "Slant Feed" system will be alot easier to rig up than a
Shunt Feed.  The base of the Slant Feed wire needs to be located 25' from the
base of the tower.  I plan to connect the other end of the slant feed wire
directly to a tower leg.

Question 1: Can anyone give me a guestimate of how high up on the tower I
should connect the slant feed wire?  I've seen 1/4 wave AM broadcast towers
use a "Slant Feed" system and it looked like the Slant Feed wire connected
aprx. 1/4 to 1/3rd of the way up the tower..  But my tower is short of a 1/4
wave for 160-meters.  Does a 1/4 to 1/3 up the tower sound about right?

Question 2: Will there likely be a place on the tower where the base of the
slant feed wire will measure close to 50 ohms?  I realize it will be an
experiment to find the 50 ohm location... but if there could be a 50 ohm
connection point then I'd like to find it or at least get close to it to minimze
tuning network parts.

Thanks & 73,

Dick- K9OM